Zolpidem – the Best Drug for Sleep Disorders
Zolpidem is used to treat sleep disorders, insomnia in particular. This medication is highly efficacious for sleep onset. Zolpidem is a generic drug. Find out more about this preparation by checking out the information below.
|Meds Name||Doses||Per Pill||Go To Pharmacy|
|Generic Zolpidem||10 mg||$2.51|
Zolpidem – Your Recipe for Quality Sleep
Trouble falling asleep is a problem for about 30% of adult Americans. Every year, millions of people require help to cope with insomnia. The first-line treatment for this type of sleep disorder is cognitive behavioral therapy and sleep hygiene. However, these work not for everyone. What should they do then? How can they resolve their problem? The solution to their problem is Zolpidem. It is a generic drug from the non-benzodiazepines class, which produces a pronounced hypnotic and sedative effect.
Zolpidem is better known under the brand name Ambien. Since 2007, this drug has been available as a generic. Zolpidem is a controlled substance due to its habit-forming potential, so you can buy it by prescription only.
How Does This Drug Work? Is It the Same Effective as the Brand Drug?
The effects of the drug result from its influence on the GABA receptors. The drug produces a calming effect on your body. Zolpidem is a fast-acting medication. If taken orally, it starts working within 30 minutes or faster, which is why you should use it right before bedtime. This drug positively affects slow-wave sleep, allowing for a better night’s rest.
Depending on the medical form of the drug you use, the duration of the effects of Zolpidem may vary. For immediate-release pills, it is around 3 hours. This medical form of the drug helps people who have trouble falling asleep. Those who have a combination of frequent night wakeups and an inability to fall asleep will benefit more from using extended-release formulation. Zolpidem extended-release works longer, helping you to sleep through the night.
Most people starting on Zolpidem will feel some unwanted symptoms within several days since the beginning of treatment. They are headache and daytime sleepiness. However, they are not a reason to give up Zolpidem. Such reactions are normal and will typically improve when your body gets adjusted to the effects of the medication.
The efficacy rate of generic Zolpidem is identical to that of the brand medication. In fact, there’s little to no difference between the brand and generic medications. They contain the same amounts of the same active substance. Their primary dissimilarity is the price. Generic Zolpidem is much more affordable than its branded version. So if you can’t afford the brand, you can get the same high-quality treatment with a generic drug.
How to Use the Medication Safely?
Zolpidem is a medication bearing some risks of tolerance and dependence. Besides, like any other drug, Zolpidem may cause unwanted reactions. There is a way to minimize the unwanted manifestations – use the drug strictly following your doctor’s advice. Here’s what you should remember when on Zolpidem.
- Use the tablets on an empty stomach. This way, they will work as expected with no delay in effects onset.
- Stick to the recommended dose of the drug. For women, it’s 5 mg; for men – 5 mg or 10 mg, depending on their individual peculiarities. Women should never take higher doses of the drug as they risk developing severe side effects.
- The maximum safe daily dose of the preparation is 10 mg. Any dose enhancement will result in an overdose.
- The duration of treatment with Zolpidem should stay within 7 – 14 days. If you use it longer, your risks of developing tolerance and dependence get higher.
- You shouldn’t take a pill of Zolpidem if you are going to sleep less than 7-8 hours. Otherwise, your alertness and concentration may be impaired.
- When you decide to stop the treatment, do it by gradually reducing the dose of the drug. Otherwise, you will feel a withdrawal. Its common symptoms are insomnia, dysphoria, fatigue, lightheadedness, nausea, and vomiting.
Zolpidem Side Effects. What Should You Expect?
Typically, Zolpidem is tolerated well and rarely causes any severe adverse reactions. As for the common ones, they include:
- next-day decrease in performance;
- back pain;
- diarrhea, etc.
Severe side effects may need medical attention. So whenever you have a symptom that bothers you, call your healthcare provider for medical advice. There is a small risk that you have an allergy to the active substance of the drug. It usually shows through itchy rash, swelling of the face, tongue, and trouble breathing. Go to an emergency room if such symptoms occur.
Zolpidem is an affordable and highly effective treatment for insomnia. This medication can help you fall asleep faster and, therefore, improve your quality of life. Use it following your doctor’s advice to make the treatment maximum safe.